Sunday, May 20, 2012

Forrest Graduates


My son graduated yesterday morning and I am so very proud of him.  My daughter, my mother and her husband, my sister, her daughter and one of her sons came.  That gave Forrest three woman to valiantly try to not cry and fail miserably, as well as a 7 person cheering squad!


Several weeks earlier, Forrest was awarded a presidential scholarship to Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU).  It fully covers his out-of-state tuition, fees, books, dorm, meal plan and gives him a laptop plus a $500/semester stipend!!!  He is shaking hands with Dr. James Ammons, president of FAMU.


Forrest showed up to my school after practice on Thursday with his honors paraphernalia.  The sash was awarded by the school for students who had a 3.5 cummulative GPA or higher (he has a 4.1 on a 4.0 scale).  The ribbon holds an honors medal that is from the guidance counselor.  The cord signifies him graduating from the honors magnate. When he showed up, I had to take him around to show him off to my coworkers.  "See what I did - I made him myself!!"  I did such a good job, didn't I??

Forrest waiting

Forrest ready and waiting for his graduation,  about an hour before the ceremony started.
 The gang: Keith, Forrest, Kaite, and Joseph.  Luckily for me, Joseph's mother showed up and made them act like they knew each other!!  My first few shots looked like 4 stiff strangers standing awardly apart from each other.











Forrest's name was at the very top of the program!!!  He had the highest SAT combined scores for his high school - as well as the highest for the public schools in the county.  A boy at a private school was
the only one to score higher.  It was so
cool to see his name like that
- that's my son!!!



 Here's his name in the list for the students with the 3.5 cummulative GPA or higher.












During the ceremony, they recognized the students with the 3.5 and higher cummulative GPAs, by having them stand up.  Since they were also the students sitting on the stage, it made them really easy to spot!  Forrest is on the far left, in front, kinda stooped over.  I guess he was late to stand up.  Boys are in green and girls in white.
 Forrest is walking across the stage to accept his diploma.
 He shook hands with his principal and superintendent first.
 Then he preceeded to walk down the line....
 Shaking hands with the members of the school board.
 The procession out was really cool to watch.  The graduates on the floor walked to the outside of the chairs and walked out the front to the doors in back by the stage.  The kids on the stage walked down, to the middle and out the doors in back, under us.  Forrest is the 3rd boy in the line here.
 Forrest hears us yelling his name, looks up, and smiles.
















We went to one of Forrest's favorite restaurants, where he received his gifts from his Aunt Donna and family and his Mammam and Gramps.  In this picture, he is sporting the only thing I could talk him into continuing to wear - the cord signifying he was in the honors maganate.  Jamaican Cuisine restaurant is really good and I recommend it highly if you are ever in Albany, Georgia.  You can visit the facebook page for the address or to see my review at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamaican-Cuisine-Restaurant/163455813678024







After my family left, I took Forrest to Sam's and bought him a IPhone 4s.  I don't think he's put it down yet, and he's had it 24 hours now.  So, I guess it was a good gift!  I can't believe my baby boy has graduated high school, and will be leaving for college in two months.  At least Tallahassee is only an hour and a half away.  Please pray that my son will miss me and therefore, call and visit often.  (Please do NOT be so cruel as to pray that I will learn to handle the separation - God might answer by moving my son's heart to never call or visit!!)





No comments:

Post a Comment