Sunday, May 13, 2012

Cajun Chicken and Rice



Wonderful cookbook - a Christmas gift
 

Cajun Chicken and Rice
 
 I made this recently in my crockpot using a cookbook given to me by either my mother or sister.  They both gave me cookbooks, and I can not for the life of me remember who gave me which.  I finally got around to using it and made their Cajun Chicken and Rice Recipe - it was easy and turned out really good.  Both of my children actually loved it too!

The cookbook is Company's Coming 2-in-1 Cookbook Collection Hot From the Pot.  It includes 2 books by Jean Pare' - Slow Cooker Dinners and Soups.  The slow cooker recipes was what I had asked for on my Christmas list - I was looking for crockpot recipes that actually included fresh vegetables and had recipes to cook all day, and this book fit the bill.  http://www.companyscoming.com/cookbooks/3-in-1-cookbook-collection/hot-from-the-pot/20/HFP/  .  This website also has free recipes.

I am a teacher, and usually come home too tired to cook - especially around report card time!  It seems like every crockpot recipe or cookbook I had run across used canned vegetables and cooked on low for only 4 or 5 hours.  Personally, if I wanted to eat from cans, I can come home and throw something together quickly.  I wanted to have a crockpot to cook fresh meals that I could put on at 7 am, and come home to eat around 5 or 6.

Cajun Chicken and Rice

Can of red kidney beans, rinsed and drained 19 oz/540 ml (I was out of this, so I used black beans)
Sliced red pepper 1 1/2 cups/375 ml  (I didn't have, so I used green)
Frozen kernel corn 1 cup/250 ml
Prepared chicken broth 1 cup/250 ml  (I used water and bouillon)
Cajun seasoning 1 tbsp/15 ml  (I had run out of this too, so I used creole seasoning)
Ground cumin 1 tsp/5 ml  (I had run out of this, so I chopped cumin seed fine)
Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped 1 lb/ 454 g  (I used leg/thigh quarters with bone)
Can of diced tomatoes (with juice) 14 oz/398 ml
Long grain white rice 1/2 cup/125 ml (I used jasmine rice)
Sliced zucchini (with peel) 1 cup/250 ml
Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley 2 tbsp/30 ml or 1 1/2 tsp/7 ml dried

Combine first 7 ingredients in 3 1/2 to 4 quart (3.5 to 4L) slow cooker (mine is actually 7 quarts but worked fine).  Cover.  Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours.

Add tomatoes and rice.  Stir gently.  Cover.  Cook on High for 30 to 40 minutes until rice is almost tender.

Add zucchini and cilantro.  Stir gently.  Cover.  Cook on High for 10 to 15 minutes until rice and zucchini are tender.  Serves 4.

1 serving:  416 Calories; 8.2g Total Fat (2.3 g Mono, 2.2 g Poly, 1.9g Sat); 94mg Cholesterol; 54g Carbohydrate; 8g Fiber; 34g Protein; 547 mg Sodium.

I put the 1st 7 ingredients in the crockpot insert the night before and put in the refrigerator.  I took it out in the morning and started cooking.  My son added the rice later, so I came home to the meal already prepared.  It is wonderful having a teenage son who cooks - but the down side is discovering I am out of multiple items I usually keep on hand - hence the number of substitutions I had to make for this recipe.  I had just grocery shopped - which included the chicken, bell pepper, and zucchini.  I could easily have picked up the kidney beans, cajun seasoning, ground cumin, and dried parsley!  I don't fuss too much, I want him to keep cooking!  My mother wonders how I'll fend for myself when my son goes off to college in the fall - I try not to think too hard about my baby boy leaving...



No comments:

Post a Comment