Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Journey Begins

I am on the first day of my two week journey in China. This is a Woman to Woman Worldwide mission through Disciple Women's Ministries and Global Ministries, a joint partnership between the United Church of Christ and the Disciples of Christ. I attend Sanctuary Christian Church, a Disciples church. Woman to Woman Worldwide is a program that responds to the call of Christ for women in the church to experience solidarity with one another, to affirm the unity of the church of Jesus Christ and to join the common struggle for justice and peace in the world.

My mother and I left Warner Robins this morning at 4:15 am and arrived at the Atlanta airport at 5:45. I haven't flown since 9/11, so a lot has changed. When I checked in, the computers now face out for self service, and the clerks offer assistance. I just swiped my debit card and it found my information! Another surprise, the airfare didn't cover checking bags - there went another $25.

Security wasn't as scary as I expected, but everyone does have to take off their shoes and belts. Another odd thing, there are no airline employees anywhere unless absolutely necessary. They were at check in, security, and the boarding doorway. There are information desks and the like everywhere, but no one is there! I had a to figure out where to get my baggage by myself. Luckily, the emails about our trip mentioned the free shuttle. I had to go to a desk offering paid shuttles to find out where to go. I had to leave the terminal and walk a little ways to the unmarked, unmanned area where the hotel shuttles are. I finally had to Google the hotel and call them for instructions! Thank God I have an iPhone.

I had time for a 1 hour nap before our luncheon. The food was really good at this hotel. I had chicken Armani - spinach, artichokes, capers. It is really nice to be with these ladies - I knew several of the faces from Facebook. We learned about this mission, people sponsoring, what is expected of us. We have a Chinese partner and guide who made our itinerary and arrangements around that. I now know how to say toilet in Chinese! Ladies came from a church in Arlington Heights and commissioned us. The beautiful lady in pink in the photo is Katheryne Smith (I don't know her spelling) The gave us cloth scarves someone made - mine is a beautiful green print. I am so excited - I will be on a plane to china in 5.5 hours!!
Atlanta from the air
O'Hare airport
Automatic seat covers at O'Hare - so cool.
My shuttle driver to the Sheraton - O'Hare Four Points
My hotel room - the water says free
The ladies who commissioned us, and our own Christal -she is the second from the left.  Katheryne Smith is the 2nd from the right.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are getting to go on this wonderful trip. I know you will receive such a blessing from it! -Vickie E.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, just want to clarify. This is a Disciples Women's Ministries' journey; administered by the staff of Disciples Women. Global Ministries is our partner and does the in-country portion of the journey. The learnings from this journey become the country of study the year after the journey. This study is part of the resource, "Just Women". Blessings

    ReplyDelete