Friday, July 20, 2018

Research Process Post 5: Findings



     My earlier Research Process blogs, discussed my journey through the process as I explored doing research so that I will be able to assist my future students on their own research assignments.  My chosen topic is "When do students develop abstract reasoning skills, and what can I do to help students who are not yet able?"


     I learned that students are first introduced to solving equations in middle school (Morin, 2014), transition to abstract reasoning at ages 15-16, and are able to successful reason at ages 16-17 (Susac, 2014).  This information explains why I have such a difficult time with students who need to reason abstractly to solve their math problems from the middle of the 6th grade through their sophomore year (usually ages 11 to 15).  Part of the abstract reasoning stage is metacognition, the ability to think about your thoughts and other people's thoughts (Cherry, 2018).  These grades are all before the age they begin to transition to abstract reasoning!  I also learned that some psychologist argue that the process is a product of culture, experience, and teaching (Abstract Thinking, 2015).  If this is true, I should be able to provide experiences and adjust my teaching so students are able to develop abstract reasoning skills.


     As I continued my research, I learned that I could test the reasoning level of my students, using the Lawson Test of Scientific Reasoning (Cornally, 2013).  Being aware of these results, I could seek interventions that help increase student reasoning levels, such as peer instruction and modeling.  I can form questions on their level, assign task on their level, and honor their need for concreteness.  (Cornally, 2013).  I located a copy of the Lawson Test, an answer key, and how to interpret the results.


     I have struggled during most of my teaching career, starting with the standards changing in Georgia, first to GPS, then CCGPS, an now GSE.  All of these standards pushed math concepts to earlier ages than under the QCCs, and required abstract reasoning that students seem unable to do.  For the first time, I have hope and I am thrilled to find a test I can give my students that test their reasoning skills.  I intend to replace the learning styles tests I usually give and
will do further research for teaching strategies to help our teachers connect with our students.

Sources
1. Morin, Amanda. "Math Skills: What to Expect at Different Ages."  Understood, www.understood.org/en/learning-attention-issues/signs-symptoms/age-by-age-learning-skills/math, kills-what-to-expect-at-different-ages.  Accessed 29 June 2018.

2. Susac, Ana, Bubic, Andreja, Vrbanc, Andreja, and Planinic, Maja.  "Development of Abstract Mathematical Reasoning: the Case for Algebra." Frontiers in Human Science, vol. 8, p. 679, PMC, doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2014.00679.  Accessed 29 June 2018.

3.  "Abstract Thinking."  GoodTherapy, 4 August 2015, www.goodtherapy.org/blog/psychpedia/abstract-thinking. Accessed 29 June 2018.

4.  Cherry, Kendra.  "The Formal Operational Stage of Cognitive Development."  Verywellmind, reviewed by Stephen Gans, 24 May 2018, www.verywellmind.com/formal-operational-stage-of-cognitive-development-2795459.  Accessed 29 Jun 2018.

5. Cornally, Shawn.  "Teenagers and Abstract Thinking:  Unclear on the Concept?"  Edutopia, 5 Mar. 2013, www.edutopia.org/blog/teenagers-and-abstract-thinking-shawn-cornally.  Accessed 29 June 2018. 

6.  Lawson, Anton E.  "Development and Validation of the Classroom Test of Formal Reasoning." Journal of Research in Science Teaching, vol. 15, no. 1, 1978, pp. 11-24. "Classroom Test of Scientific Reasoning: Multiple Choice Version."  Arizona State University, revised ed. Aug. 2000, www.public.asu.edu/~anton1/AssessArticles/Assessments/Mathematics%20Assessments/Scientific%20Reasoning%20Test.pdf.  Accessed 29 Jun 2018.

7.  "Lawson Test Keys." Brooklyn College, CUNY - Physics 101.  Course Hero, www.coursehero.com/file/13505474/Lawson-Test-Keys/#/question.  Accessed 29 Jun 2018.

8.  Moore, James Christopher and Rubbo, Louis.  "Scientific Reasoning Abilities of Non-Science Majors in Physics Based Courses."  Physical Review Special Topics - Physics Education Research, vol. 8, no. 1, Oct. 2011.  ResearchGate, doi: 10.1103/PhysRevSTPER.8.010106.  Accessed 29 Jun 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment