Saturday, July 21, 2018

Research Process Post 8: Conclusion

   
There are a variety of Research Processes, but I focused on the Infozone method.  I did learn some useful information on the topic I researched, but my main focus was on learning the process and considering how I will teach students in the future.


     I don't like to spend a lot of time planning up front, and neither do the students I teach.  I had never been taught a "research process" before, other than the innate ideas of picking a topic, researching it, writing a paper, and including sources.  Because this is a difficult subject for me, I appreciated seeing formal processes, and being able to choose one myself.  I chose the Infozone process, which worked well for me, and I am certain it will work well with my students.  It lends itself to students who want to jump right in, instead of spending a lot of time planning.  To start off with, you only have to think of your topic or question, then you start researching and narrow or change your question if needed.  It is very difficult for the students to decide on their research topic until they see what is available, especially for the concrete thinkers.


     I was very pleased to find a method for determining the reliability of sources.  Many people have said to make sure the sources were reliable, but no on has ever given me criteria or explained how.  After finding criteria, I wound up throwing out half of the material I had found and considered reliable.  This will be part of my literary skills lessons in the future.

<a href="https://clipartxtras.com/">clipartxtras.com</a>

     The results of my research changed my outlook.  I have been frustrated for many years with teaching very high standards to very low students.  Looking at the math standards today, it seems to focus on making all students be engineers, and doesn't account for the average student who is capable of being a productive member of society.  I still wish alternative courses could be in place for those who need it, but I have found a test to use for differentiation and guidance for finding materials and strategies to help concrete thinkers in their transition to abstract thinking.  I also was encouraged that college physics professors have the same struggle, and find they still have concrete thinkers in their classrooms!
     The process of Blogging for an assignment, was a treat for me and something I believe my students will appreciate.  Blogging will also allow for class discussion and make full class participation easier.


     This one assignment has helped me with multiple aspects of teaching students that I struggle with, and I am looking forward to putting them into practice in the coming school year.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment